Designed by Louis Ipsen, featuring bright glazes produced by Victor Houser, and masterfully executed by potter Matt Carlton, Bauer launched their California Colored Pottery line in 1930. The first colors in the lineup included Chinese yellow, Delphinium blue, and Jade green. Over the next few years, Bauer added orange-red, cobalt blue, and black. Following a trend in more casual dining brought on by the Great Depression, customers were encouraged to create mix-and-match sets. Bauer offered the “ringware” version of the pottery in 1933, but continued to produce some plainware items until at least 1941.